25 May 2005

Baby 2, Sal 0...

I awake to a more than full bladder and the sound of rain beating down on my tin roof. I’ll have to make a run for it. The distance between room and toilet is only 20m, so I reckon I can probably manage to get there and back without the need for a jacket…
Only problem being that today the door is locked, meaning that I have to slip and slide around to the other entrance, 20m further away.
Soaked to the skin, I enter the kitchen/lounge area and am greeted with the delicious sight of nappy-changing, midway through. Due to my own urgent toilet needs, I ignore the flagrant disregard for hostel etiquette and make a mental note to never go on holiday with a toddler.
By the time I return to the kitchen and pour out my Fruit & Fibre, there’s no sign of baby or parents, just their lingering scent.
I am tucking into my tasty, yet healthy, cereal when I notice that the dirty nappy has been left, open, just outside the door. Nice. Just what I wanted to see first thing in the morning.
The kid comes into view, running around the deck area with no pants on, dirty face, snotty nose and grimy hair. She proceeds to investigate the contents of her nappy.
My breakfast wants to defy gravity and the muscles of my alimentary canal -I can feel it preparing to launch itself up my throat...
Still no sign of the parents. I look around at the similarly green-faced backpackers. We’ve all seen it. Guess it’s up to me then, the only employee of Solscape present, to do something about it.
The offending nappy is dispatched using the inside-out plastic bag trick.
Morning has broken…

1 comment:

dstockwell said...

Ha ha, I almost vomited over my 11 month-old niece the other weekend due to the contents of her nappy when I was changing her... not fun! Amaznig how much can come from such a small person.

Suffice to say I have no plans to bring any spawn into this world.