27 May 2005

Traffic Jamming Session...

Well.
Last night was good.
It was open mic night again and the Sistas of Solscape performed admirably well.
Suzanne, Laura and I sang ‘Weather with you’ by Crowded house. We chose to cover a Kiwi band so that people would feel all warm and friendly towards us even if we happened to murder the song itself… and it was a cunning plan, indeed. We had the audience singing along to the chorus and everything!
It was Laura’s first ever gig and I was dead impressed at how well she did- It took me over 5 years to pluck up the courage to play in front of folk and she only started guitar lessons 5 weeks ago… my star pupil!
I remained onstage and knocked out ‘Goodnight Elizabeth’ by the Counting Crows and ‘Outdoor Type’ by the Lemonheads; I guess it was ok because I was cheered at the end.
Although, it is pretty hard to tell if you are any good or not when the audience is made up entirely of tipsy Solscapers and residents from the friendliest town in the world…
However, the main excitement of the night was actually on the drive into town. In my role as designated driver I was in charge of transporting everyone else to and from the pub. It was the first time I’d ever driven at night and things got very interesting when I realized that I could only have the lights on full beam, or not at all. Rattling along twisty-turny roads at 6okmph, in either pitch-black or blinding the on-coming traffic, definitely gets the heart racing. Eventually, Laura leaned over the steering column and switched the damn things on.
Phew.
Needless to say I am yet to get the hang of this driving malarkey. I was so much better in my lessons in Manchester. I don’t know what to do with all these unlit open roads; give me a double roundabout or a slow-moving traffic jam any day.

No comments: