Yesterday morning we woke up to puppies!
I got up as normal, walked over to the stationhouse, looked at a rather shiny-eyed Laura and other grinning backpackers and then spotted the tiny things… Puppies!
Two of them.
Sooooooooooo cute.
It was like Christmas.
One for me, one for Laura.
Just what we hadn’t realized we had been wishing for.
Apparently, they had just shown up and without collars or any sign of a desperate owner searching for them.
We decided to keep them.
Well, at least until somebody more responsible than ourselves told us to give them back or something.
I had the brown one and Laura had the more boisterous black one.
I call mine ‘Finn’ and while I am telling the others why I’ve named him after the tiny warrior of Irish Legend, Laura decides to call hers ‘Hurley’.
Sweet.
We spend most of the morning taking photos and cradling our ‘babies’.
We try not to think about the fact that they obviously belong to someone else because they are far too healthy and clean to be strays.
We decide that it must just be good karma and that all those times we helped elderly people across the road, guided the blind, fed the homeless and cleaned up after filthy backpackers had resulted in puppies for us. Yay!
Besides, things have a peculiar way of working out in Raglan.
I was once walking back to the hostel with my surfboard and thinking that I was probably only good for lying in bed and reading for the rest of the day. Then I remembered that I had just finished the book I was reading and that there were no more good ones left at Solscape.
‘Awwwww, I wish I had a good book. Maybe something like that Bob Dylan autobiography that had such awesome reviews… Ho hum, I’ll have to go into Hamilton and find a bookshop…’
I collapsed in a chair in the lounge and not two minutes later, a nice Welsh bloke called John Broderick hands me a book.
“It’s Chronicles, by Bob Dylan. I think you’ll enjoy it.”
Spooky…..
Then we want a hairdresser to arrive and tend to our scruffy barnets. Lo and behold, he arrives the next day.
I want some ice-cream and there is some Neapolitan on the ‘free food’ shelf, a lift home from netball and Kate drives by, picks me up and brings me to her outdoor spa to relax those achy muscles, countless bottles of beer left by forgetful guests, perfect party outfits for free from the dump, thermal underwear when I am cold, the list goes on and on.
Surely the puppies are only further proof that Raglan is the greatest place on earth?
Needless to say, the pups are from next door and we have to give them back.
We feel strangely empty inside, bereft of our little ones.
At least we have the photos.
And now we have an excuse to jump the fence and get to know the neighbours.
I’ve wanted to see what goes on over there for ages…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment